On Monday Retired Chief Paul Tursi was recognized with a proclamation and plaque from the Riverside Township Committee for his 28 years of service as a Riverside Police Officer. Chief Tursi was appointed Chief in 2006 and began his tenure by promoting a community policing philosophy and implementing many community outreach programs such as:
· Bicycle Patrol Unit
· Ride Safe Bike Helmet Program
· Adopt a Cop
· Community Care Taking Cards
· Nixle Notification System
· Home Security Surveys
· Police Trading Cards
· College Inter Program
He also began the first Police Explorer program in Riverside Township. The program provides young men and women interested in law enforcement the opportunity to learn and work alongside Riverside police officers. The program has grown to the largest police Explorer program in the county and has already produced several full time police officers.
These successful programs resulted in numerous awards including:
· MADD drunk driving enforcement award
· BCPO Pro-Cops award for community policing
· ASIS International Unit award for Community Policing
· New Jersey Dept. of Traffic and Highway Safety traffic enforcement 2nd place award for departments with 11-25 officer in New Jersey.
· New Jersey Law Enforcement Challenge Underage Alcohol Prevention Award
Courier Post Best of South Jersey
He has spent the past 28 years serving the residents of Riverside. The beneficial impact Chief Paul Tursi has left on the community and the Riverside Police Department will be remembered for years to come!